This recipe is super fast and easy! While the beef browns, chop your veggies. And, in light of the Covid-19 Quarantine happening all over our globe, I am including loads of substitute suggestions so no shopping needed. If you don’t have something, don’t fret, just leave it out. Your final dish may turn out slightly differently, but it will still be tasty and nutritious!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (olive, coconut, canola or avocado)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (sub: turkey or chicken)
- salt (kosher is my fave), to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced (sub: baby sweet bell peppers or poblano)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced small
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (sub: Italian seasoning or dried basil)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder (sub: 2 fresh cloves, minced)
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder (I used chipotle)
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (sub: rice vinegar or 1/2 cup beer!)
- 4 cups chicken stock (sub: beef or veggie stock)
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, strained and rinsed (sub: other canned beans)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (sub: fresh cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (to thicken – totally optional)
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- hot sauce
- diced onion
- corn chips
- Warm oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ground meat, season with salt and pepper, then cook until meat is browned, stirring often.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to plate. Leave about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pot, or add a little more oil if needed. Add onions, bell pepper, jalapeño, celery, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder and paprika. Season with salt and pepper, then cook until veggies are soft and onions are translucent. Continue to stir often.
- Stir sweet potatoes into onion mixture. Clear a space in the center of the pot and add the tomato paste. Toast for 1 minute, then stir to combine all ingredients.
- Pour in vinegar and cook 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add stock, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat to maintain a simmer. Cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add the meat back to the pot along with the black beans.
- If you want to thicken the broth, stir cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl. With the chili boiling, stir the slurry mixture into the pot. Let boil 2 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in chopped parsley. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with choice of toppings!
Keywords: healthy, fast, family-friendly, chili, sweet potatoes, black beans, ground beef, ground turkey, easy, comfort food