Some of my favorite flavors tossed into a healthy grain bowl of rice and quinoa and topped with a satisfying 6-minute egg.
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 small jalapeño or half of a large jalapeño, seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Bowl:
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 avocado, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted red or yellow peppers, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup pepitas, lightly salted
- 1 egg, large
For the Tortilla Strips, Optional:
- 2 corn tortillas, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
Other Topping Options:
- 1/3 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped greens such as romaine or arugula
- 8–10 ounces cooked shrimp or chicken, diced or shredded, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- 1/3 cup corn kernels
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- Fill a medium saucepan with enough water to cover an egg by at least 1 inch. Set over high heat and bring to a boil.
- To make the vinaigrette, remove the stem and seeds from the jalapeño, roughly chop the pepper then place in a blender. Add a handful of cilantro, peeled garlic clove, squeeze of lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, rice wine vinegar and honey or agave, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until mixture is smooth, with no chunks of jalapeno or garlic. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Once water is boiling, set an egg in the bowl of a ladle and hold over the surface of the water for 15 seconds or so. This helps to temper the egg slightly. Carefully lower into the boiling water and lower heat so that water is still boiling but egg(s) aren’t jostling around violently. Set timer for 6 minutes. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
- Measure cooked quinoa and cooked brown rice into a mixing bowl. Drizzle with jalapeno vinaigrette and toss to combine. Use as much vinaigrette as necessary to achieve desired taste. Transfer dressed grains to a serving plate or bowl.
- Arrange your toppings of choice over the quinoa.
- To make crispy tortilla strips, set a medium saute pan over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Slice the corn tortillas into long, thin strips. Add the strips once the pan and oil are hot and season with salt, then cook for 5-6 minutes until golden brown and crispy, stirring often to cook evenly. Remove from heat.
- Once the egg timer goes off, use a slotted spoon to lift the egg(s) out of the pot and immediately transfer them to the bowl of ice water. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before peeling.
- Peel the egg(s) and set on top of the quinoa-rice bowl along with a pile of crispy corn tortilla strips. Drizzle extra vinaigrette over the top. Serve and enjoy!