I love shrimp and I love tortilla soup so I put them together into one delicioso recipe!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1+1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 orange bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, de-seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 10-oz can of diced tomatoes with chilies, like Ro-Tel
- 3 cups seafood stock, low sodium
- 1 cup water
- 5 corn tortillas
- 1 handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Sour Cream
- Queso Fresco, Crumbled
- Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Set a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and warm.
- Pat shrimp dry and season with salt and pepper. Once oil is warm, add shrimp. Oil should sizzle slightly. Sauté until pink, flipping as they cook to sear evenly on both sides, about 5-6 minutes total. Transfer cooked shrimp to a clean dish.
- While shrimp cooks, prep your onions, peppers, celery, garlic and jalapeño.
- Set the pot used to cook the shrimp back over medium-high heat and add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add diced onions, peppers, celery and garlic along with the paprika, chili powder, cumin and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Sweat for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until veggies are softened.
- Pour canned tomatoes with chilies into pot and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Stir in the stock and water and bring to a boil.
- While soup simmers, roughly chop the shrimp into small pieces.
- Once liquid is boiling, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add corn tortillas and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Tear off a handful of fresh cilantro and add to the soup. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Use caution when blending hot liquids. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and add back the diced shrimp. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper, or more lime juice to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with fresh avocado, more cilantro, crumbled cheese or a dollop of sour cream!