The ultimate snack food: chips and dip. This queso is taken to the next level with cloves of roasted garlic and charred jalapeno.
- 1 jalapeno
- 1–2 tablespoons roasted garlic cloves (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 10-ounce can Ro-tel
- 1 cup Corona beer (see notes)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese, cut into cubes (pepper jack will be noticeably spicier)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla Chips and/or Bell Pepper Strips
- Set jalapeno over gas flame on stove or under broiler to char. Rotate as it blackens to cook evenly.
- Over low heat, warm olive oil in a 10″ cast iron skillet or saute pan. Add roasted garlic cloves and warm to soften. As they soften, use the back of a fork to mash them into a paste.
- Add butter, increase heat to medium, and melt. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and cook 1-2 minutes while stirring to prevent garlic from burning. Add ro-tel and stir to scrape up any bits from bottom of the pan, then slowly whisk in beer. Add corn, season with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Continue to stir often.
- Add the cubes of cream cheese and jack cheese, stirring or whisking until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and check final seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Transfer roasted garlic white queso dip to serving dish. Top with slices of charred jalapeno, chopped green onion and 2 more tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Serve warm with tortilla chips or bell pepper segments for dipping.
*Find roasted garlic cloves on the olive bar at your grocery store.
*In place of beer, feel free to substitute milk, chicken stock or vegetable stock.
Keywords: queso, cheese dip, beer and cheese dip, how to make queso, chips and dip