Roasted beets are quite simple to make and tossed with white balsamic vinegar, arugula, goat cheese and green grapes they make a deliciously hearty salad.
- 4 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup green grapes, sliced in half
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets in a heatproof baking dish. Add about 1/2-1 inch of water to the dish, then cover tightly with foil. Once oven is preheated, place beets in the oven and bake until they pierce easily with a fork. This can take anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size and firmness of your beets. Start checking after 40 minutes.
- Once beets are fork-tender, remove from oven, uncover and set somewhere to cool. I like to place them on a baking rack away from the stove.
- After beets have cooled enough to handle, cut off the root end and use your hands to peel or push off the skin. If skin is being stubborn, you can also use a vegetable peeler. Although once beets have roasted long enough the skin usually comes off pretty easily. Wear gloves to prevent staining skin.
- Cut beets into a 1” dice and place in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and white balsamic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At this point, beets can be refrigerated. I like to wait to add the grapes until just before serving so they don’t take on the color of the beets.
- To serve, toss beets gently with arugula and sliced grapes. Scoop mixture into salad bowls and crumble goat cheese over the top.
Keywords: roasted beets, how to roast beets, beet salad, cooking beets