OMGosh! How much do y’all love No-Cook recipes in the summer? I mean, we’ve been having a string of 90+ degree days here in Michigan and I’m craving crisp, fresh, bright, veggie-packed meals. Lately, this has meant lots of salads, but the other day I combined a few of my favorite flavors to create this delightfully delicious dish of raw cauliflower and golden tomatoes with creamy chive ricotta and a jalapeno-shallot mignonette. So yum! You should try it too…really!
I admit that we trade cooking for some chopping, but it’s easy, quick and totally worth it because all these little components add up to so much flavor. First, I finely chop chives and stir them into a bowl of creamy ricotta and season with a bit of salt and pepper. I like to buy a creamy, smooth ricotta at my local grocery store. It’s waaaay better quality than the container you find in most grocery store reach-ins. Keep an eye out and give it a try. You’ll see what I mean.
Next, I finely dice a shallot and a jalapeno and mix these together with lots of vinegar, pepper and a pinch of salt. I also like to stir in some extra virgin olive oil for fat and body. Basically, this dressing is inspired by a mignonette, which is most known for serving with raw oysters. I love it here because it adds a brightness to the veggies that is so perfect for a hot summer day. Acidity pairs so well with the creamy ricotta and makes the entire dish pop! What do you think? You can see for yourself then share with me in the comments!
Lastly, I cut the cauliflower into small florets. I like my cauliflower bite-size. Don’t you?? I also sliced the tomatoes so it’s all so easy to eat! ‘Cuz no one has time for a knife and fork when you’re dining al fresco!
Swoop the ricotta (I can’t help it, I love swoops!) then top with the cauliflower, tomato and crushed pistachios (or any nut will do), then drizzle the mignonette over the top. Done, done and done! Yum, right? I’ve been craving this dish all week!
And for what it’s worth, I’ve also been enjoying my extra mignonette on arugula with scrambled eggs in the morning. Yep, it’s surprisingly versatile!
So, I hope this recipe helps you stay cool and well-fed during these hot summer months! ‘Tis the best time of the year!
A crisp, bright, fresh and flavorful no-cook salad of raw cauliflower and tomatoes with chive ricotta and a jalapeno mignonette makes for a delightful summer dish.
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 1-2 tablespoons jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar is nice, too)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower, trimmed into small florets
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, crushed or chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Course flaky salt, like Maldon, if you have it
- Crispy bread, if desired
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta and chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In another small bowl, combine the diced shallots and jalapeno with rice wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- To build the salads, swoop a dollop of chive ricotta in the bottom of four wide, shallow bowls. Divide the cauliflower florets evenly among the bowls, piling atop along with the sliced tomatoes and a sprinkle of crushed pistachios.
- Drizzle the jalapeno mignonette over the top and finish with a sprinkle of course, flaky salt if you have it. Serve with slices of crispy, toasted bread, if desired.
This dish makes a great appetizer or party dish too. Serve a big dollop of the ricotta topped with very tiny florets and small dices of tomato along with crostini or mini pita breads for scooping. Let everyone dig in! Like hummus, only more exciting!
Keywords: raw cauliflower, ricotta, jalapeno, summer recipes, gluten free