Kale and pistachios blend together easily and deliciously for a healthy and enjoyable way to indulge on kale this week.
- About 14 cups of Kale leaves, torn and clean
- 1/4-1/2 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled
- 1/3 cup pistachios, shelled and unsalted
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Tear kale leaves off the stems. If kale needs rinsing, set leaves in a large bowl of cold water and soak for a few minutes. Lift leaves out of the bowl onto some paper towel or a clean kitchen towel and blot dry. Arrange on a sheet tray, or two.
- Roast the kale in the oven for about 5 minutes until slightly wilted and bright green in color.
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, add the pistachios and clove of garlic. If you happen to love really garlicky pesto, add another clove. Process until crumbly.
- Add the kale leaves, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Turn on the motor again, and start drizzling in more olive oil until desired consistency is reached. For a more spreadable thickness, use less oil. For something more saucy, add more oil.
- Stop to scrape down the sides and check taste. Add more salt, pepper or lemon juice if, necessary.
- Kale can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six days. Or, portion into an ice cube tray and freeze for future use.