Mac’ and cheese doesn’t have to come from a box to be easy. A basic roux with milk and cheese is all you need to create a tasty, cheesy pasta dish, so ditch that box and make it from scratch!
*Organic ingredients optional:
- 12 oz pasta shape
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole or skim milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese – about 4 ounces
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fill a medium saucepan with water then cover and set over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- While the water comes to a boil, grate the cheese.
- Once water is boiling, season with 1 tablespoon of salt and stir in pasta. Cook until al dente, according to the time on the package.
- Strain cooked noodles and set aside. Place saucepan back over medium-low heat. To make a roux, add the butter and melt. Then, add the flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Mixture should look smooth and it will start to bubble. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Slowly pour in about 1/4 of the milk mixture. Whisk or stir until the milk is absorbed, then pour in a little more milk. Continue to do this until all the milk is added and the mixture is smooth. Be sure to scrape up any roux from the edges of the pan.
- Whisk in the turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Allow the milk to boil for 1-2 minutes to thicken. Lower heat back to medium and whisk in half the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted, then whisk in the remaining cheese until melted and sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the pasta noodles. Check taste and add more salt if desired. Lastly, if sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk. Scoop and serve warm!