An easy pantry-friendly spice rub adds tons of flavor to chicken thighs. Cooked on the grill or in cast iron on the stove, the recipe is flexible and flavorful.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In small bowl, mix sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken thighs in gallon zip-top food storage bag, or glass baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and toss or rub to coat chicken evenly.
- Pour spice mix over chicken and toss or rub to coat chicken evenly. Seal bag or cover dish and refrigerate chicken for 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat gas grill to high; place chicken on hot grill grates and reduce heat to low. Cook slowly, turning every 4-5 minutes until cooked through, about 20 minutes total.
For a charcoal grill, arrange coals on one side and cook chicken on opposite side for indirect heat.
Chicken can also be cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Preheat skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium. Cook chicken 10-14 minutes, turning frequently, until cooked through.
The brown sugar will cause the chicken to char while cooking, which is why I cook it a little more slowly than other chicken dishes. Turning the chicken frequently allows the sugar to brown or char, while preventing it from burning.
Keywords: smoky-sweet chicken thighs, grilled chicken thighs, chicken, easy recipes, easy chicken recipes