Chickpea Crumbs make the crispiest of baked chicken tenders with a boost of nutrition to boot. And why have one sauce when you can have two? These tenders get tossed with a buffalo-honey-mustard then dipped in a ranch-style sour cream.
For the chicken:
- 1 pound chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup flour, or gluten free flour variety or rice flour
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 cup chickpea crumbs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For the buffalo sauce:
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
For the ranch sour cream – Optional:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1–2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with a layer of parchment paper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and spread it evenly over the parchment.
- Measure the flour and chickpea crumbs into two separate wide, shallow bowls or dishes.
- Crack the eggs into a third wide, shallow bowl and whisk well.
- Cut the chicken breast crosswise into 1/2″ thick strips. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the tenders in the flour until evenly coated. Shake off any excess and move to the egg dish. Coat evenly with the egg, shake off any excess, then move to the chickpea breadcrumbs. Coat evenly, then set on the prepared sheet pan. Repeat until all chicken strips are breaded. Sprinkle each chicken tender with salt.
- Place chicken in the preheated oven and bake until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together the buffalo sauce ingredients in medium heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- If making the ranch sour cream, combine all applicable ingredients in a separate bowl or jar and whisk or stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Once chicken is done, remove from oven. Transfer to the bowl of buffalo sauce and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Transfer honey-buffalo chickpea-crusted chicken tenders to a serving platter and serve with ranch sour cream on the side, if desired.