Prosciutto-wrapped shrimp are delightfully easy and cook so quickly. Make these on their own for a party hors d’Oeuvre or pair them with my “lazy” risotto-style pearl couscous and enjoy them as a full meal.
For the shrimp:
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 4 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (U10-13)
- 10 slices prosciutto
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For the pearl couscous:
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup pearl couscous, aka Israeli couscous
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped – optional
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together apricot jam, whole grain mustard and rice wine vinegar until well combined. Scoop out 2 tablespoons and set aside.
- Trim prosciutto slices in half lengthwise. Lay out flat on a cutting board.
- Pat shrimp dry. Season with salt and pepper. Dip one shrimp into the apricot mixture and coat evenly. Place at the end of one slice of prosciutto then roll the shrimp up, or wrap the piece of prosciutto around the shrimp. Set on the prepared sheet tray and repeat until all shrimp is wrapped. Arrange shrimp so they are not touching each other.
- Measure water into a small saucepan. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the pearl couscous and a pinch of salt. Cover pot and lower heat to simmer. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 6-9 minutes until shrimp are bright pink.
- After the couscous has cooked for 8 minutes, stir in the green peas. Set lid on pot again and cook another 2 minutes until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender.
- Remove couscous from heat. Stir in butter, Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley, if using. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the shrimp are out of the oven, use the 2 tablespoons of apricot mustard that you set aside earlier to brush the hot shrimp with more sauce.
- Scoop some of the pearl couscous onto each dinner plate and top with 4-5 prosciutto-wrapped shrimp.