Basic ingredients make up the most delicious Blondie’s recipes, just like Grandma used to make.
- 1 stick butter, plus extra for buttering the dish
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour, plus extra for dusting the dish
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips, I like to use mini chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter an 8×8″ baking dish on the bottom and sides, then dust with flour. Shake and rotate the dish to coat evenly with flour, then dump out the excess.
- Heat the stick of butter until just barely melted.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a second large mixing bowl, crack the egg and whisk. Stir in the brown sugar, the melted butter and the vanilla extract.
- Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, then fold in the walnuts. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer to the edges and corners. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 35 minutes.
- Allow blond brownies to cool in the baking dish for 15 minutes.
- Run an offset spatula or dinner knife around the edges to loosen. Set a cutting board over the top and flip the dish so the blond brownies fall out onto the cutting board. Carefully flip them back over and slice into 16 squares. If the blond brownies crumble as you cut, allow them to cool further.