Deliciously Simple Vitamix Green Juice
So, I did something new recently. Something I should have done a long time ago! You see, I’ve been stuck in a paradigm. The Vitamix Smoothie paradigm. Whenever people talk about smoothies, and why they love their Vitamix for making smoothies, my mind would just reject and shut down. I love my Vitamix, but I happen to very-strongly-dislike smoothies. Yuck! Never in all these conversations did it occur to me that my Vitamix would also be good for something I do love – veggie JUICES!
See how pretty? It’s like a beautiful summer day in the dead of winter!
Look, I get the fact that smoothies are like healthy milkshakes and I often wonder why I dislike them so much. After all, I love milkshakes. But smoothies just don’t do it for me. They’re like drinkable yogurt! Double Yuck! However, years ago I fell in love with veggie juices. From green ones with kale and kiwi, to bright purply-red ones with beets and apple, I absolutely love to drink my veggies!
Another blockage in this paradigm was the idea that juices need to be made in a juicer. One time I borrowed a friends juicer and never, I say never again, will I ever, ever use a juicer. My kitchen was splashed with red beet juice, the floors sprinkled with kale stems, all for a yield of what I recall seemed less than a cup worth. Bugger.
When I moved back to the Detroit area and found Urge Juice, I was extactic. Nomnomnom, I tell ya. But it’s not like juice is cheap. Nor do I expect it to be, because as I experienced, juicin’ aint easy.
So the other day when I added a beet to my Vitamix and pureed it to make beet pancakes (recipe coming soon!) I had a Eureka!! moment. If my Vitamix could liquify a beet, surely it could pulverize all my other favorite veggies, too!
Rather than experiment, I referred to the Vitamix recipe book that came with my machine. I picked one that was all green, and gave it a shot. It worked! It was delicious! Now I’m officially obsessed!
Like any recipe, I see all the possibilities to try new combinations and get creative. It takes less than 10 minutes and it’s such an awesome way to use up all kinds of produce, especially if they are looking at their last days. Another great benefit – the juice holds up well in the fridge so I enjoy one immediately and save the other for the next morning. Love that!
So that’s my Vitamix Breakthrough story. I wanted to share this win with all of you who a) are probably trying to be healthy right now, b) may have gotten a Vitamix over the holidays and are wondering what else to do with it, and c) might also be self-employed like yours truly and wondering how you can enjoy healthy juice without the price tag of healthy juice. Who’s with me?!
Up next, beet, apple, ginger….
Glowing Green Smoothie from the Vitamix Cookbook
Vitamix’s are good for more than just smoothies, including vibrantly nutritious green juice! This recipe is adapted from the Vitamix recipe binder that came with my machine, in the tab marked “Healthy New You”.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups
- Category: Healthy
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup organic baby spinach
- 4 stalks celery, halved
- 1 organic apple, cored and quartered
- 1/2 fresh organic lemon, peeled
- 1 small, seedless orange, peeled*
- 1 tablespoon agave*
- Place water, romaine, spinach and celery into the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 8.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth, using tamper as needed. Stop machine and remove lid.
- Add apple, orange, lemon and agave to the Vitamix container in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until desired consistency is reached. Add a little more water if desired.
* I added an orange in place of pear, which was listed in the original recipe. I also left out the banana, but added agave for sweetness.